Dr Mark Ingham CV
Reader in Critical and Nomadic Pedagogies UAL
PDF CV: Dr Mark Ingham CV 2019
Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (MISFHEA)
UAL Senior Teaching Scholar: (Thinking Design)
Twitter: (@MIART) (@malarkeypalaver)
SELECTED EXHIBITIONS (*With Catalogue)
Education in Progress ex at LCC Lower Gallery 2019
- Marcel Godel Zebedee Escher Zebedee JME Bach LDF Uncertainly Playground – ‘Room 2084’. 2017.
- Becoming Rhizomatic – London Design Festival at LCC. 2016.
- ART III Limits of Unprotected AREAS. Doomed Gallery London. 2014.
- LCC Photography Research Show. Nursery Gallery LCC. 2014.
- Art Takes Times Square. New York. Work shown on electronic billboard* 2012
- 120 Days and Night of Staggering and Stammering (9 minute Video, Stephen Lawrence Gallery/QA080, University of Greenwich. 2012
- SCOPE, New Photographic Practices Tsinghua University Gallery Beijing. CHINA * 2011
- Ars Magna Lucis et Umbrae (120 Days and Night of Staggering and Stammering) Dilston Grove. Café Gallery Projects [Solo Exhibition] Arts Council of England Funded Individual Award Grant 2008
- EPISODE. temporarycontemporary. Deptford, London [December 2005-January 2006]+ Leeds 2006 & Miami, USA. September 2006. 2005/6
- m-ia.net [Memory in Art] web site Launch exhibition. Coleman Projects Space, London 2006
- To and From. Metropole Galleries, Folkstone. 2005
- Les Merveilles Du Monde. Musee des Beaux Arts, Dunkerque. 2005
- White Window and Guests. La Malterie, Lille, France. 2003
- Fantastic! In the catacombs under St. Pancras Church, London* 2003
- The Greatest Show on Earth. Metropole Gallery, Folkestone. 2003
- In Kinetika, at the Montpelier Arms. Peckham. 2002
- A Different Kind of Show. Whitechapel Art Gallery. Drawing: Sports Day, 1963.
- Vauxhall Gardens. Norwich Art Gallery* 1998
- Whitechapel Open. Spitalfields Market* 1992
- Hot and Sticky. Tobacco Dock 1991
- The Consumption of Elements. Chisenhale Gallery* 1988
- Fragments of False Houses. Pomeroy Purdey Gallery* 1988
- Riverside Open. Riverside Studios 1988
- Urban Constructs, Unit 7 Gallery Henry Moore Foundation Fellowship final exhibition 1986
- A Thousand Follies Mid Term Show, Henry Moore Foundation Fellowship 1985
- Shaking Chairs Outside Installation, Riverside Studios 1985
- Paradise in Peckham, an Artangel project. An outside installation along the former Surrey Canal, Peckham 1985
GROUP EXHIBITIONS (*With catalogue)
2003 White Window and Guests. La Malterie, Lille, France. Fantastic! In the catacombs under St. Pancras Church, London* (www.fantasticarts.co.uk) The Greatest Show on Earth. Metropole Gallery, Folkestone.
2002 PALAVER. In Kinetika, at the Montpelier Arms. Peckham. 2000 A Different Kind of Show. Whitechapel Art Gallery
2000 Sports Day, 1963. Whitechapel Foyer
1998 Vauxhall Gardens. Norwich Art Gallery*
1997 Who Are You? Open Studio 1996 Open Exhibition. Cafe Gallery, Southwark Park 1992 Whitechapel Open. Spitalfields Market* + Open Studios. Warrior Studios
1991 Hot and Sticky. Tobacco Dock
1988 The Consumption of Elements. Chisenhale Gallery* + Fragments of False Houses. Pomeroy Purdey Gallery* + Riverside Open. Riverside Studios + Monumental Works. St. George’s Crypt, Bloomsbury*
1987 Flotsam Fantasies. East Gallery, Canterbury Shelf Show, Kettle’s Yard Gallery, Cambridge
1986 Illuminations, Camerawork* + New British Sculpture. Air Gallery* + Garden of Art. Stoke Garden Festival for the Whitechapel
1985 Sculpture ’85. Central School of Art Slade African Famine Relief Fund Exhibition, Riverside Studios
1984 Artists in Tower Hamlets. Whitechapel Library + Sculpture ’84. Central School of Art Whitechapel Open. Chisenhale Works*
1983 New Contemporaries. (slide show), ICA + ILEA at the Barbican. Barbican Sculpture Court
MY WORK USED BY OTHERS
- Drawing Boy Pool Rhizome used as Cover art for: The Polyphonic Machine: Capitalism, Political Violence, and Resistance in Contemporary Argentine Literature. (2018). By Niall H. D. Geraghty. University of Pittsburgh Press. 2018.
- Drawing Boy Pool Rhizome used for PhD cover art. ‘science and technology studies, spatial politics and future making’. Requested by Dan Kristian Kristensen. 2017.
- Drawing Boy Pool Rhizome used for PhD cover art . The power of form: Swarming resistance in cyberspace’. Requested by Imogen Armstrong SOAS. 2016.
- Drawing Boy Pool Rhizome used in Degrees of mixture, degrees of freedom: genomics, multiculturalism and race in Latin America, By Professor Peter Wade, British Academy Wolfson Research Professor. Published by Duke University Press. 2017.
- Drawing Boy Pool Rhizome used for: The Words of Others: Remembering and Writing Genocide as an Indirect Witness. By Caroline D. Laurent. (Used in defence of her PhD at Harvard University – Department of Romance Languages & Literatures). 2017.
- Drawing Boy Pool Rhizome used for a conference on Radical Democracy at The New School for Social Research. Requested by Signe Larsen – The New School for Social Research in New York. 2016.
- Boy Pool Rhizome used for ‘Contemporary Art in Coffee Shops’ Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, Requested by Mary Clare Rietz.
- Becoming Rhizomatic used by Bibliothèque publique d’information (public library), in the Pompidou Center, Paris, for their online magazine, Balises. Requested by Fabienne Charraire. 2018.
- Drawing Boy Pool Rhizome to be used as a tattoo. Requested by Jasmin Degeling. 2017.
AWARDS and GRANTS
- Awarded a LCC Teaching and Learning Sabbatical and grant for research project ‘Agents, Agency, & Agencies in Assembling Liminal Learning Spaces’ 2018
- Awarded UAL Teaching Scholar for ‘Thinking Design’ Project – 2017 -2019
- Awarded a UAL Teaching and Learning Research Grant for Learning and Teaching Theory on Line (LATTO) project 2016-2017
- Highly Commended UAL Teaching Award May 2017 UAL/Arts SU and The Exchange.
- Arts Council of England: Grants for the arts Individual award 2007
- Arts & Humanities Research Board: 3 Years Funding for PhD at Goldsmiths College
- Art Takes Miami – Motion & Sound Category Prize Winner – Scope Miami – 2011
- Artists Wanted – Early Bird Prize Winner – 3rd Ward – New York 2011
- Selected as one of theTop 25 artists by 3rd Ward Winter Open Call 2010, Brooklyn, New York.
- Selected as one of theTop 100 artists by Artists Wanted for the A Year in Review 2010:
- PhD Goldsmiths College, University of London. (Visual Arts, Practice led. FT, AHRB Award fully funded) 2000-2005 (Externally Examined by Phyllida Barlow)
- Supervising Research Degrees in Art, Design & Communication CLTAD UAL and SEDA. 2005.
- PGCE The Institute of Education. University of London. Art and Design. (post compulsory and secondary education). 1989-1990.
- CS101, Introduction to Computing Principles – Stanford University (online) 2012
- Learning through Transformative Technologies – University of Greenwich 2011
- Henry Moore Foundation Fellow, Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts 1985-1986
- Postgraduate Sculpture. The Slade School of Fine Art. UCL. 1983-1985
- BA Hons Fine Art Sculpture. Chelsea of School Art and Design. 1980-1983
- Foundation Course Cambridgeshire College of Arts and Technology. 1979-1980
- Editorial for Vol 3, No 1 (2018) of Spark: UAL Creative Teaching and Learning Journal
- Journal of Writing in Creative Practice, article ‘From Wish You Were Here? to GAMSWEN and onto Designed Dissertations: Connecting the design studio with writing in design. (London, Goldsmiths) (2012)
- Work included in: Art Takes Times Square Publication 2012 (New York)
- Article in: Addiction – Riippuvuus issue 14 of HESA Inprint Art Magazine 2011 (Helsinki)
- Work in Catalogue: SCOPE, New Photographic Practices (London)
- Work included in: Art Takes Miami Publication 2011 (New York)
- Work included in: Scope Miami Publication 2011 (Miami)
Chair: Task and Finish Group: Future Thesis/Dissertation at LCC 2017-2018
UAL Learning and Teaching Enhancement Committee 2017-2020
Spark: UAL Creative Teaching and Learning Journal Editorial Board Member
College Academic Committee – LCC: 2015-2017
LCC Learning and Teaching Enhancement Committee 2017-2020
Staff Development Committee LCC – 2017-2020
Business & Management and Science: Subject Forum Member
Member of The Photography and the Archive Research Centre (PARC):
LCC College Quality Committee – 2014-1017
Photographic Practices (CCW) http://www.photographicpractices.com/
The Design Society – An international non-governmental, non-profit making organisation whose members share a common interest in design.
School Board – University of Greenwich (Architecture Design and Construction)
VLE Group – University of Greenwich (Architecture Design and Construction)
e-Centre Group Member – University of Greenwich
Learning Spaces Group Member – University of Greenwich
Member of Compass Editorial Board: The Journal of Learning and Teaching at the University of Greenwich
CONFERENCES & SYMPOSIA
- ‘Everybody knows…’ Presentation + panel member on Research Informed Teaching, with Stephen Colwell from the Institute of Education, UCL, and Saranne Weller, from the Centre for Research Informed Teaching (LSBU), at London South Bank University, School of Arts and Creative Industries Research and Enterprise Day 4 July 2018
- The Theory and Practice of ‘Theory and Practice’ in Art and Design HE. Red Room, Chelsea College of Arts John Islip Street. 17 May 2017. 9.30am to 4.30pm (Co-organiser with David Webster and presenter)
- ‘Thesis InForm’. Presentation at UAL Learning & Teaching Day 2017: Cultivating Curiosity: exploring the design of teaching and learning at UAL
- UAL Teaching Scholar: Thinking Design. Presentation at LCC LaTD 2017
- ‘The Amphitheatre, The Stage, The Lecture Hall, The Coffee Shop: Creating Spaces for Conversations to begin in Post-Digital Learning Places’ presented at: UAL LaTD 2016: Reimagining creative spaces for teaching and learning at UAL. LCF.
- “Mark, How did you know any thing before the Internet existed?” Designs on eLearning conference, New York. 21 – 22 September (Presenter) 2016
- “Fishing for Zebedee” Material Others and Other Materialities Symposium at Iklectik Art Lab, September 30, 2016 (Presenter)
- ‘Thesis InForm’ Symposium Friday 24 June 2016 at LCC (Co-organised with CTS Staff & Students)
- ‘Writing as Practice’: Practicing writing in every way, every day and for all, helps keeps the fear of writing away. Co–presentation/workshop with Andrew Slatter at LCC LaTD 2016
- ‘Screen Writes’ Redux. Presentation/workshop at UAL Learning & Teaching Day 2015. Creative Teaching: supporting risk taking and innovation at UAL
- ‘Screen Writes’. A one-day symposium sponsored by LCC, HEA-ADM and the Writing PAD network. Friday, June 27, 2014. London College of Communication Room T304 (Tower Block) #screenwrites (Co-organiser)
- “Do blogs and other online presences along with the culture of Bring Your Own Devices enhance learning spaces in Art and Design HEIs?” Lightening Talk at LCC LaTD April 2015.
- “New Paradigms in Pedagogical Thinking for the Academy of the very near Future, or how the Wasp Became the Orchid” Swedish Twitter University Lecture: (Presenter on Twitter) Dec 2011.
- “Never judge a book by its movie” Conference Paper: University of Greenwich. Learning and Teaching conference,. Inspiring Learners: Equipping the Next Generation of Graduates (Presenter) July 2010
Category Prize Winner: Art Takes Miami. Artists Wanted: Scope 2011 (+ In their Publication)
3rd Ward Open Call 2nd Place Prize Brooklyn New York 2011 (+ In their Publication)
Arts Council of England: Grants for the arts Individual award 2007-08
AHRB: 3 Years Funding for PhD at Goldsmiths College
Member of validation panels for the MA Advertising LCC, MA and MScs at Ravensbourne as an external and internal member. Member of internal panel for MSc Architecture and Construction Programmes for The University of Greenwich and external panels at Canterbury College BA FineArt and graphic Design.
PhD External Examiner – Huddersfield University
UAL Teaching Scholar January 2017-2019
Acting Programme Director: Graphic Design Communication at London College of Communication (Jan 2018 – April 2018)
Acting Programme Director Branding and Design Innovation (Sept 2017- December 2017) & Design School Learning and Teaching Innovation Lead (0.2) LCC
Acting Programme Director Spatial Communications & Design School Learning and Teaching Innovation Lead (0.2) Sept 2016- August 2017 LCC
Acting Programme Director (Contextual & Theoretical Studies) & CTS Coordinator Feb 29016 -Sept 2016 LCC
Senior Lecturer: Contextual & Theoretical Studies Co-ordinator (FT)
London College of Communication (Since September 2013)
University of the Arts, London CCW Wimbledon College of Art and Chelsea College of Art. I was an Associate lecturer on the Fine Art BA Contextual Studies programme I now teach the BA Contextual Studies year 1, 2 and year 3 Graphic Design Communication students at Chelsea.
Ravensbourne College of Design and Communication: Associate Lecturer on the MA programme as a Research Process/Dissertation Tutor and on the BA Critical Studies programme as a Dissertation Tutor.
External Examiner for Contextualising Practice Manchester School of Art 2016-2020
Exern Examiner NCAD Dublin (BA Design Dissertations) 2014-2017
External Examiner 2012-2015 London Metropolitan University, for BA Graphic Design, BA Illustration, BA Design, and BA Motion.
External Examiner 2013-2016 London Metropolitan University, for BA Animation
External Examiner 2012-2016 Middlesex University for the Visual Communication Department, Dissertations.
Presently supervising 9 internal PhD students at UAL and 2 at other Universities
Chaired – Confirmation Panel AUB 2015
Internal UAL Examiner – Confirmation Panel 2017
Current students & thesis titles
- Angela Hayward (Arts University Bournemouth), (Co-Supervisor) “Taxomomies of the affordances of the iPad with a particular focus on those exploited by women artists to devise and create artworks in order to record, document and disseminate artworks.”
- Sara Dryden (Southampton Solent University) (Co-Supervisor) “A Practice-based Critical Investigation into the United States Frontier Domestic Space and its Mediated Form within Western Film.”
- Demetra Kolakis(LCC/LCF) (Co-Supervisor) ‘[un] Folding Fashion Spaces: Mediatization of Fashion Practices, Materiality and Place.’
- Marcia Michael: (LCC) (As Interim DoS with Dr Michael McMillan as Co-Supervisor) ‘(Re) enacting the maternal body as a site for ancestral memories: To what extent can photography and oral history become effective vehicles of reconstructing history through the re-embodiment of black matrilineage?’
- Claudius Schulze (Co-Supervisor) ‘How can computerized research be utilized to aid the investigation process underpinning a documentary photography project? Documenting the societal changes caused by the economic crisis in Europe.’
- Jon Martin (Co-Supervisor) ‘What is ‘creative block’ (: dimensions; properties; forces)’
- Miriam Sorrentino (DoS) ‘Can audience’s experiences of ambient advertising in public spaces be both captured and communicated in a manner that is more resonant with their experiences?‘
- Elin Karlsson (Co-Supervisor) ‘The fabric of the domestic – consuming the condition’
- Hanqing Ma (DoS) 18/19 (tbc)
- Alexander Awramenko (Co-Supervisor) 18/19 (tbc)
- Abdul Tahnan (Co-Supervisor) ‘Undocumented Civilian Casualties: Comparing The Reporting of Civilians Casualties Caused by Russia Warplanes in Aleppo and by The US-Led Coalition Warplanes and Artillery in Raqqa.’ 18/19
Completed students & thesis titles
- Sara Andersdotter, ‘Choking on the madeleine: encounters and alternative approaches to memory in a contemporary art practice.’
- Vasileios Kantas,‘Ungrouped layers: Unfolding the act of photography.’
Ravensbourne College of Design and Communication: Associate Lecturer on the MA programme as a Research Process/Dissertation Tutor and on the BA Critical Studies programme as a Dissertation Tutor.
University of the Arts, London CCW Wimbledon College of Art and Chelsea College of Art. I was an Associate lecturer on the Fine Art BA Contextual Studies programme I taught the BA Contextual Studies year 1 and year 2 Graphic Design students at Chelsea.
University of the Arts, London: 2010. 6 month scoping project: literature review on practice-based PhD supervision [Post-Doctoral Research]
Chelsea College of Art and Design. p/t BA Practice and Theory. 2003-04. Associate Lecturer
Course Leader/Tutor, Art and Design Foundation Course, Kingsway College. 1993-2000
Schools Co-ordinator, Whitechapel Art Gallery. 1990-94.
University College for the Creative Arts, Canterbury. PT Lecturer. 2005-2006
University of Kingston, MA in Art and Space. 2003. VL
KIAD, Canterbury. MA Fine Art, p/t/VL + p/t BA in Fine Art (1998+2000-02+05), BA 3rd year Painting and PhD 2003 pt/VT
University of Oxford, Ruskin School of Fine Art and Drawing. (1998+1999) VT
University of North London, ID Architecture Department. (1997-1998) VT
Education Organiser, Arts & Events, Olympia & York, Canary Wharf 1991-1992
[Wrote Teachers’ Resource Pack, for ‘Art from The Exploratorium’.]
Kingsway College, Drawing Tutor, 1990-1991
Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts. BA Painting/Sculpture.
Modern Art Studies, Christie’s. Art History. [Lecturing]
Winchester School of Art, BA Art History/Complimentary Studies. [Lecturing]
Chelsea School of Art, MA/BA Sculpture. VT
Homerton College, Cambridge University, BEd, Art and Design. VT
CCAT, Cambridge, Foundation Course. VT
Newcastle Polytechnic, BA Sculpture. VT
Sculpture Organiser/Selector, New Contemporaries, ICA. 1981-1982
Royal College of Art: ‘C.A.L.M.’, for the VAA Course, 1998. [Workshop Leader]
Whitechapel Art Gallery: Medardo Rosso, Worlds in a Box, Guilleremo Kuita, Tony Cragg, Antechamber, Speed, Boetti (1999), and Carl Andre, (2000). [Workshop Artist]
Royal College of Art: ‘You Are Here’, for the VAA Course. 1997. [Workshop Leader]
Barbican Arts Centre: John Heartfield/Cutting Edge, Bill Brant, Alphonse Mucha, and Erwin Blumenfeld. [Workshop Artist]. Insight Arts Trust: Head and Heart, Sleepers (Wold Prison) 2000, and Portland YOI, 2000+2001. South Bank Centre: Doubletake, Gravity and Grace, Julian Opie (with the Architecture Department, South Bank University), Dialogue in the Dark, and Tap Ruffle and Shave. Camden Arts Centre: Northern Adventures. [Workshop Artist]. Riverside Studios: Riverside Open. [Workshop Artist]. Air Gallery: New British Sculpture. [Workshop Artist].
1998-2000 Artist in Residence, Kingsland School, Hackney. SWAP Project.
With the Whitechapel Art Gallery. [Secondary]
Sept 1997 Artist in Residence, Acland Burghley School, Camden. [Secondary]
With inlVA, in the Mathematics and Art Departments. (www.iniva.org)
May 1994 Artist in Residence, Osmani School, Tower Hamlets.
With the Whitechapel Art Gallery. [Primary]
Oct 1993 Artist in Residence, Charles Edward Brooke School. [Secondary]
Jan 1993 Artist in Residence, in collaboration with Laurie Booth (dancer)
Jefford Horrigan (artist). Charles Edward Brooke School
and Norwood Girls School, with the South Bank Arts Centre. [Secondary]
Oct 1992 Artist in Residence, William Tyndale School, Islington. The Camden Arts Centre.
Aug 1988 Animatuer, Cowley Youth Centre, Oxford. With the Museum of Modern Art, Oxford.
July 1988 Community Sculpture Workshop Residency, at Kettle’s Yard Gallery, Cambridge.
1987-1988 Artist in Residence, Park Walk Primary School, Chelsea.
With the Sir John Cass’s Foundation and the Riverside Studios
“Elizabeth liked the fact that in the first part of the presentation, there were some linguistic slippages
between the texts on the screen and the way Mark read them –
this was pertinent to the idea of stammering…”